What is ransomware?
Ransomware prevents users from accessing their system by locking the system’s screen or by locking the users’ files until a ransom is paid. Here is an in depth article that offers more details.
Steps to avoid ransomeware
- Backup your data.
- It is GOLD. Your Retail data is crucial. Also think about other financials and spreadsheets that are crucial to your business. If you backup your data on a regular basis you have a safety net. There are many options out there but the bottom line is you need backups that are not saved on your local computer. Watch for news about our new 3-step backup solution coming soon!
- Security software.
- We suggest ESET Endpoint Security. It is a comprehensive security package available for $120/year for the first computer and $20/year for all other computers. If you have existing security software make sure it is set to update and that is measures up to today’s virus/malware challenges.
- Keep your computers updated.
- You should always apply the latest Windows updates. They should be scheduled to run automatically so you are always up to date.
- Do not click on email attachments or links that look suspicious.
- Email is the primary way for ransomware to spread. If the link or attachment looks suspicious then delete the email. If possible email should not be opened on POS computers nor where data is stored.
For more steps to keep safe click here to read all of ESET’s best practices. If you need security software and want to learn more about ESET click here.
We want to make sure your computers continue to run well so please reach out to our support desk if you have any questions by calling 1-866-204-5511 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org .
About the Author
Chris has been working with hundreds of small to medium Retail customers at Canadian Retail Solutions for 12 years now. Chris has spent time in every area of the business starting with tech support. Chris has a focus on the long-term relationships with Retailers and discovering how to make technology improve their businesses.